Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Surviving Colic

This is for all those parents out there that are currently living through the hell that my husband and I are living through.

I thought we had had our fill of this when we finally made it through the 12 weeks that Ethan suffered from colic. We must be cursed to have to suffer through it yet again.
Unfortunately Ella Grace's colic is much more severe than Ethan's was. I feel like that is a pretty good indication that we are not treating whatever the cause of the colic might be. For instance, with Ethan it was Acid Reflux and as soon as we figured this out he was put on Zantac and a special formula and he was suddenly a changed baby. For Ella Grace, we have been on the Zantac for 3 weeks and Levasin which is a digestive calming medication and we still have seen little results. She is 7 weeks old today and she is suffering from this so badly. I want to make it better not just for her sake but for mine and Joey's as well.

For anyone that has lived through colic then you must understand where we are coming from. It is so hard to listen to that constant screaming and crying. She is so needy and I can not even put her down for a second without her throwing a complete fit. This is not good for a new mother who's hormones are up and down and who is just flat out exhausted. I never get a break from her either. That is until the past two nights when my very sweet and compassionate husband has taken her to his mother's so and stayed there with her so that I can rest and rejuvenate. He gets to take a breather from her when he goes to work everyday but I am constantly here. I know it must sound pathetic but it is so much harder than anyone can imagine unless you have lived through it.

I pray that we find a solution for her very soon. I hate to think that my baby might be in pain and yet there is nothing I can seem to do to fix it.

On the bright side...most babies outgrow this by 16 weeks so we are almost half way there. I guess that is the light at the end of this very dark tunnel!

No comments:

Post a Comment